MILAN – Our usual Sunday QUIZ about Inter continues (here is the previous instalment). This week, in collaboration with Opta, we’re testing you on…shots from outside the box!
1) Who are the four Inter players that have scored more than one goal from outside the box this season across all competitions?
Nicolò Barella, Marcelo Brozovic, Romelu Lukaku, Lautaro Martinez…
Inter have scored ten goals from outside the box this season. The first, which opened the season, was Marcelo Brozovic’s strike against Lecce. The Croatian also scored from outside the box in the return fixture of The Derby. Barella has also scored twice from outside the box: against Verona in the league and against Fiorentina in the Coppa Italia. Meanwhile Lautaro Martinez and Romelu Lukaku have also both scored twice from outside the box: the former against Brescia and SPAL, the latter against Brescia and Barcelona at home. The remainder of those ten goals come from Antonio Candreva’s matchday one strike against Lecce and Stefano Sensi’s goal against Sampdoria (after Sanchez’s deflection).
2) Before Brozovic’s goal in this season’s return fixture of The Derby, who was the last Nerazzurri to score a goal from outside the box against AC Milan in the league?
Candreva scored with a great right-footed strike in The Derby on 20 November 2016 that ended 2-2. The other three previous goals from outside the box in matches against AC Milan came from Fredy Guarin (Inter 1-0 AC Milan, 2015), Joel Obi (AC Milan 1-1 Inter, 2014) and Maicon (Inter 4-2 AC Milan, 2012).
3) In the last 15 Serie A seasons, Inter’s longest range goal came from 47 metres out: who scored it?
In addition to his legendary Champions League goal against Schalke 04, Dejan Stankovic scored another goal practically from the halfway line for the Nerazzurri against Genoa on 17 October 2009. The distance? 47.2 metres!
4) Against which team have Inter scored three goals from outside the box in a single league match across the last 15 Serie A seasons?
In Roma 0-4 Inter on 19 October 2008, Mourinho’s Nerazzurri scored three goals from outside the box. In Inter’s dominant match at the Olimpico, Ibrahimovic first scored a chip over Doni from outside the box, then Stankovic netted an unstoppable right-footed strike in the second half before Obinna followed suit.
5) Which are the two teams against whom Inter have scored the most goals from outside the box in the last 15 Serie A seasons?
Roma and Atalanta
Inter have scored twelve goals from outside the box against Roma and Atalanta in the last 15 seasons. In that ranking, the Nerazzurri have scored ten goals from range against Parma and AC Milan, eight against Cagliari, seven against Fiorentina, Bologna and Chievo.
6) Who was the last Inter player to score two goals from outside the box in a single Serie A game?
On 15 Febraury 2015, Inter beat Atalanta 4-1 away from home as Fredy Guarin scored a brace of goals from outside the box: the first, with his left foot, in the 37th minute and the second, with his right, in the 63rd minute.
7) Which Inter player has attempted the most shots from outside the box in Serie A since the 2004/05 season?
Him again, the Dragon. In his 231 games for Inter in Serie A, Stankovic scored 29 goals. The Serb also managed to attempt 338 shots from outside the box, a speciality of his. Wesley Sneijder (246), Fredy Guarin (240), Adriano (182) and Marcelo Brozovic (163) follow him in that ranking of those who have had the most shots from range.