MILAN - How well do you know your Inter history? If you need a refresher then you can certainly get one with Born Inter, retracing all the stages of your own Nerazzurri story.
Today, we launched our Inter Quiz: ten questions for the most committed of Nerazzurri fans. The challenge on our Twitter and Instagram looks back on some of the best moments, players and statistics from our Club with ten questions. Here are all of the answers in collaboration with Opta!
1) With 368 matches, which Inter coach managed the most games for the Nerazzurri across all competitions?
Helenio Herrera boasts the most appearances in the Nerazzurri technical area. “The Wizard” was in charge of Inter from 1960 to 1968, with a second spell in the 1973/74 season too. He coached a total of 368 games, winning three Scudetti ('63, '65 and '66), two consecutive European Cups (’64 and ’65) along with two Intercontinental Cups (’64 and ’65). Behind Herrera come Roberto Mancini (303 games) and Giovanni Trapattoni (232). The rest of the Top 5 is made up of Arpad Weisz (212) and Eugenio Bersellini (207).
2) The player to have scored in the most different Serie A seasons managed it on 16 occasions. Who was it?
565 games and 158 goals in a Nerazzurri shirt. This was Sandro Mazzola’s legacy between 1960 and 1977 at Inter. His debut came in Inter’s infamous 9-1 loss away to Juventus, as Inter sent out their Primavera side in protest. It was Mazzola who scored our only goal on that day on 10 June 1961, not even 19 years old at the time. Inter was the only Club Mazzola played for across the entirety of his career. The only season in which he didn’t find the net was 1961/62, when he made just one appearance for the side. Mazzola did however score in every other season, his final goal coming on 22 June 1977 in a 1-1 draw against Lecce.
3) Inter played 57 games in our Treble-winning season: the player with the most appearances made 55 appearances. Who was it?
In our extraordinary 2009/10 season, Javier Zanetti played 55 games out of 57. He only missed two games: the Coppa Italia round of 16 (a 1-0 win against Livorno) and our home league game against Bologna (a 3-0 win in the second half of the season: Zanetti was suspended). José Mourinho started our Argentine in the remaining 55 games, substituting him on just one occasion when Inter drew 2-2 to Dynamo Kyiv in the group stage of the Champions League as Zanetti was replaced by Marco Materazzi in the 86th minute.
4) Romelu Lukaku scored 17 goals in the first 25 league games of his debut season with Inter: who was the last player to match this total?
Romelu Lukaku’s time in an Inter shirt has got off to a truly stunning start. The last Nerazzurri player to score 17 goals in their first 25 league games for the Club was Nyers, the Hungarian forward born in France arriving from Stade Français in 1948/49 and scoring 26 goals in 36 appearances. Nyers sits seventh in our all-time top scorers with 133 goals scored.
5) From 2004/05 onwards, the assist record in a single Serie A campaign for any Inter player was 11: but who holds it?
Our Brazilian full-back collected eleven assists in the 2009/10 season, along with six goals in the league and one in the Champions League. An extraordinary season for “the Colossus”. His eleven league assists came against: Napoli, Genoa, Palermo (two), Bologna, Cagliari, Udinese, Fiorentina, Lazio, Chievo (two).
6) In 2019/20 Inter won all of their first seven away games in the league: a record for the Nerazzurri at the start of the season. Which year however hosts the record for the longest run of consecutive away wins?
Mancini’s Inter recorded eleven away league wins in a row back in 2006/07: they won the Scudetto that season with 97 points, 30 wins, seven draws and just one defeat (at home to Roma). Inter did not lose a single game away from home in the league that season.
7) The player with the most shots for Inter this season has attempted 86 efforts. Who is it?
El Toro has made 31 appearances and scored 17 goals this season, with twelve in the league and five in the Champions League. Our Argentinian goalscorer has had 86 shots in Serie A, with 27 blocked. Romelu Lukaku isn’t far behind on 72. Of Lautaro’s 86, 27 have been blocked, 59 have got through, and 34 have hit the target.
8) Who have Inter beaten more than anyone else in Serie A?
Inter and Roma have met on 173 occasions in Serie A, the Nerazzurri winning 72 of these games compared to the Giallorossi’s 49 victories, with the remaining 52 ending as draws. This has been a match-up full of goals, with a total of 499 goals from the 173 encounters.
9) Inter’s biggest win in history was a 9-0 thrashing in 1933. But which team did it come against?
The Nerazzurri’s biggest ever win was the 9-0 on 10 September 1933 against Casale; with hat-tricks for Meazza and Demaria, goals from Serantoni and Frione and an own goal from Demarchi. Other big wins for the Nerazzurri have been: Inter 9-1 Bari (1948/49), Inter 8-0 SPAL (1958/59) and Inter 8-0 Aurora Pro Patria (1929/30).
10) Inter’s highest ever goal return in a league season was 107. Which year did it come in?
Despite their most prolific attack in history with 107 goals, Aldo Olivieri’s Inter couldn’t manage to bring home the league title as the Rossoneri pipped them to it by a point. Nyers was our top scorer that season with 31 goals, while two more Nerazzurri beat the 20-goal mark: Faas Wilkes (23) and Benito Lorenzi (21).